Thursday, September 6, 2018

Knitting / Crochet Booties Measurement

Fig 1


Fig 2
Fig 3

Fig 4
Hi friends,

In last two posts I am writing about booties either knitted or crocheted. This week I made booties for myself with the same technique. That time I realised that I should say something about how to take measurements for boot and then how to decide that with how much stitches or chains we should start with?




Measure the lengths A and B as per fig 5. For my feet A=9" and B=3.5".
Fig 5


Fig 6
Then for finding the number of stitches to start with I measure the length as in fig 6 and it is 19".








Now any hand knitted garment is some what stretchy so for proper fitting I reduced this length by 1" that means my starting number of stitches should produce 18" length. I used Oswal Winter special wool and UK 9 number needles my gauge is 5 stitches per inch. So 18x5 that means, I have to  CO 90 stitches. Then work it, till I get the height 3" as in fig 7.
Fig 7

Fig 8












Now because for my feet B=3.5" and considering my gauge, I decided to knit middle 18 stitches further. So my initial 90 stitches were divided in three parts, 36 + 18 + 36 stitches. Then I knitted those middle 18 stitches till it's height AC was equal to the length of side AB as in fig 7 and then my work looked as in fig 8.
Then sewing part was same as explained in the post on 3rd Sep 2018.
Similarly we can make the shoes in crochet also. For crochet (as in 3rd September's post) you have to check the gauge of single crochet work and then decide that how many chains will be for foundation.
Happy knitting and crocheting.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post !!! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muskaan.Glad to see your comment after so many days.

      Delete

Crochet Cap for Baby with Neck Warmer for Beginners

  Hello friends, Here is a very simple baby cap specially made for beginners.  This cap is for 6-9 month with circumference of head 13.5&quo...