Saturday, September 9, 2017

The  Art  of  Rangoli:

On Diwali / Dasara
Rangoli is a traditional Indian art of creating designs by using materials such as powder of wet rice, dry flour, colored sand. Mainly rangoli is a powder of the lustrous mineral shirgola. It is also available in different colors. It is hold in the pinch of thumb and the neighbouring finger and by the flow of the powder in the pinch, design is drawn on the floor.

I have seen in my childhood, rangoli is daily drawn at the courtyard of every house or at prayer place in the morning. But now a days there are less families who follow this tradition, otherwise it is drawn only at the time of festival. Rangoli made by flowers petals, leaves is also getting famous.


The purpose of drawing rangoli is decorative and it is supposed to generate positive energy. One more purpose is to welcome the guest. So when ever some one is invited for lunch our courtyard is decorated with such rangolis.I think rangoli also represents colors of life.

As a lover of all arts, I like to draw rangoli though I am not so expert, I enjoy drawing that. Here are some of the rangolies drawn by me on different occasions





Dasara and Diwali are two main festivals in India. When my kids visited USA for education and they told me about Thanks Giving Day, I feel that it is similar to our Dasara in which we pay respect to elder by offering special leaves which we call gold on that special day. 


On special occasion like Dasara /Diwali

On some occasion
On some occasion
On some occasion
On some occasion









On some occasion






Dailly rangoli at courtyard
Daily rangoli












       
              Next generation, my daughter also took part in drawing rangoli.

Rangoli made by flowers and leaves.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful rangolis! The last few don't even seem like rangolis - almost feel as if are painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such intricate and detailed rangoli ! Reminds me of the Diwalis when sis & I would make it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post and beautiful drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ninetta. It's very common to draw rangoli in India. Thanks that you like it.

      Delete

Crochet Cap for Baby with Neck Warmer for Beginners

  Hello friends, Here is a very simple baby cap specially made for beginners.  This cap is for 6-9 month with circumference of head 13.5&quo...