Sunday, January 6, 2019

Mandapi (Small Pavilion) for Gauripujan in Indian Wedding Ceremony:
Fig 1
Hi friends,
It seems that I am steel in marriage fever because my consecutive second post is on marriage ritual decoration.

This event in the marriage is called "Gauripujan" or "Gauri-har-pujan". Here bride wearing yellow saree (gifted by her mama, means brother of mother), see fig 2, takes some "Akshata" (rice) in hand and render it to Goddess Gauri and prays the Goddess for her better marital life. Also the heap of pots / vessels are placed around it. They are silver, copper or mud pots called "Kalash", placed one over other.
Generally it is done as in fig 2,

Ref https://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/knowledge/article/why-is-gouriharpujan-performed-prior-to-the-marriage.html
Fig 2
For this Gauri pujan event, I made this Mandapi (small mandap or pavilion like structure) made for placing the Goddess in that, fig 1. Four such pillars of pots are placed at four corners of the Mandapi.

Material required: One saree box, wrapping paper, four wooden sticks of equal length (10-12 inches), Some old wedding cards, gum, small plastic flowers or made them by crap paper, lace or make bead lace


Fig 3
Top and bottom of the mandapi are made by saree box by wrapping them with a beautiful paper. Four sticks are wrapped by green paper. Those are fixed at the four corners of top and bottom, fixed them by fevicol. Also sew curtains to two sides of the mandapi. For mandapi in fig 1, I used earthen pots (kalash) and decorate them by a beautiful lace. See fig 3 here I used copper pots and decorated them by beads.

In Fig 1 and 2 I used plastic flowers for decoration but in fig 4, I made those flowers  by crap papers. Also the pots (kalash) used here are wooden pots. Old wedding cards have small beautiful and ritual symbols like swastik, kalash, Ganapati idol etc They are used where ever they suit. See  fig 1, 4. Some times instead of curtains, sides of the mandapi are decorated by wedding cards designs. See fig 5 and 6.
Fig 4












Fig 5

Fig 6










Fig 7

Fig 8















One more mandapi I made 15 years ago is in fig 7.

Recently I made one mandapi for the marriage of son of my friend, fig 8.

ETC: Enjoy the Creativity.

1 comment:

Crochet Doily with Beautiful 3 D Border, Thalposh, Mandalam

  Hello friends, In the last post I have posted one table mat with same type of border but then many of my friends requested me to make roun...